The four-hour course is aimed at architects, designers and building experts in general. Attendees will achieve an understanding of the requirements of residential concrete masonry building design based on NZS 4229:2013 Concrete Masonry Buildings Not Requiring Specific Engineering Design and of Code compliance, clauses B1, B2 and E2.
Structural requirements for the design of foundations, walls, beams & lintels, diaphragms and bracing for wind and earthquake forces will all be covered during the course. Attendees will learn to develop structural designs for concrete masonry buildings without the need of an engineer. The course also covers weathertightness and briefly looks at sound and thermal performance.
The course includes a working exercise, helping to assess if what has been learnt can be applied correctly. It would help attendees to bring a copy of NZS 4229 to the course. It is also of benefit to attendees to have obtained basic knowledge of NZS 3604 – this is not a prerequisite, but will help to put the course content into perspective and assist/support the application of the knowledge gained in a practical situation, either in the workplace or in a simulated situation.
The course includes:
- Tutor presentation
- Tutor-led activities, group-work & discussion
- Assessment activities
To complete the course participants will be required to:
- Actively participate in all sessions
- Work in pairs or teams to complete some exercises
- Provide feedback/evaluation of the course
The course contains the following nine Sections plus an exercise in which the attendee can apply the knowledge that has been learnt during the course.
- Construction excluded
- Inspection & Workmanship
- Inspection process
- NZS 4210 summary
- Site Requirements
- Beams & Lintels
- Exercise - Applying what has been learnt
- Architects, designers and building experts (It would be beneficial if trainees were familiar with NZS 3604).
- Other building professionals
- Concrete NZ Members $156.52 plus GST ($180)
- Non Concrete NZ Members $172.17 plus GST ($198)
Fee includes morning tea.
Complete and return the course registration form.