About the Precast Sector Group
The Concrete NZ Precast Sector Group represents about 30 precast concrete companies that operate nationwide.
Its predecessor, Precast New Zealand Inc., was formed on 17 June 1999. After 20 years Precast New Zealand was wound up to become the Concrete NZ Precast Sector Group as part of a wider consolidation of concrete industry associations.
For the Concrete NZ Precast Sector Group to be the recognised voice of the off-site precast industry and making precast concrete the first-choice construction material.
The Objectives of the Precast Sector Group
- To promote and protect the interests of the precast concrete industry in New Zealand.
- To provide a central organisation, through which Members may co-ordinate their efforts in handling problems of common concern.
- To represent and act for the industry before Government and other organisations as required.
- To participate in the development of Standards to ensure acceptable outcomes for the precast industry are achieved.
- To support connecting and the exchange of information with other persons and organisations within New Zealand and overseas on precast concrete.
- To support employee training to ensure that the precast industry skills and standards are maintained and are recognised by the construction industry through the quality of the products manufactured.
Why be a member?
Some of the key benefits of being a Concrete NZ Precast Sector Group member include:
- Individual member’s concerns can be advocated at a national level with support available from the Concrete NZ and other kindred organisations.
- Be kept up to date with relevant industry news via email alerts.
- Added credibility as a member of the industry body and access to the “Plant Certification Program”.
- Able to display Concrete NZ Precast Logo on your own correspondence, publications etc.
- Access to quarterly precast sales statistics by regions showing market trends.
- Participation in Concrete NZ Precast promotions such as inclusion on web site.
Industry Voice and Advocacy
As the recognised voice of the precast industry the Concrete NZ Precast Sector Group is able to use the combined resources of its members
to tackle issues of common concern and protect the interests of the precast industry.
With a more authoritative and powerful voice than individual members the Concrete NZ Precast Sector Group has been able to and exert influence in many forums where individual members would often not be invited to participate. This is amplified through
linkages with other kindred organisations.
The list of organisations into which the Precast sector Group has advocated its needs is extensive and includes:
- Representation on the executive of the Specialist Trade Contractors Federation and through them many bodies of relevance to the construction and subcontracting industry.
- Involvement with research institutions on research and testing programs for precast concrete. These include research on low damage design structural systems which use precast concrete.
- Participation in organising the annual concrete conference to ensure precast matters are featured.
- Involvement with the development of industry documents including Standards, Contract Agreements, and WorkSafe Guides.
- Making submissions on the Building Act and the Building Code along with other Government consultations to ensure the voice of the precast industry is heard.
- Representation on industry training organisation BCITO to ensure appropriate training and qualifications are available for our workforce.
Staff Training, Education & Plant Visits
The Concrete NZ Precast Sector Group is committed to supporting concrete industry training through the
Building and Construction Industry Training Organization (BCITO). Well trained, qualified and experienced operatives are an asset to any industry.
The Concrete NZ Precast Sector Group members have assisted with the development of qualifications and training modules for the precast industry. (Refer to BCITO concrete quals page).
To encourage future growth of the precast industry the Concrete NZ Precast Sector Group and its members also welcome the opportunity to interact with educational organizations. Visits by groups of students can be arranged by contacting a Concrete NZ Precast
member in your area. Alternatively, you can contact Concrete NZ Precast.
Many members have brochures available and are happy to supply them as a teaching resource. Various documents available from this web site or via links to other organizations may also be of use.
In addition to the legislation that all commercial enterprises are required to comply with, there are additional aspects to comply with including the Building Act
and its regulations, Standards and Codes of Practice which may result in exposure to penalties if not followed. The collective knowledge and experience of the Concrete NZ Precast Sector Group is available to assist its members by providing access
to advice that can reduce the cost to an individual member and the reputation of the precast industry as a whole.
Linkages with other associations
Concrete NZ Precast has close links with the National Precast Concrete Association of Australia (NPCAA). As well as the exchange
of information with the very well-resourced Australian association, we have combined meetings every second year, alternating between countries, where members of each body can exchange information and explore matters of common concern.
We also communicate with other relevant international bodies.