The course is aimed at architects, designers, façade engineers and building experts in general. Attendees will achieve an understanding of the requirements of weathertight concrete and concrete masonry construction based on the CCANZ publication Code of Practice for Weathertight Concrete and Concrete Masonry Construction (CP 01:2014).
Apart from weathertightness requirements, the course also covers various New Zealand typical wall construction systems based on their location of thermal insulation, such as strapped, lined and insulated internally, composite and core insulated systems and external insulation finishing systems.
It is of benefit if Attendees have obtained basic knowledge of NZS 3604 and NZS 4229 but this is not a prerequisite. However, it helps putting the course content into perspective which supports applying any gained knowledge in a practical situation, either in the workplace or in a simulated situation.
The course includes:
- Tutor presentation
- Tutor-led activities, group-work & discussion
- Student learning resources
- Assessment activities
To complete the course participants will be required to:
- Actively participate in all sessions
- Work in pairs or teams to complete some exercises
- Individually complete (and pass) the Final Assessment
- Provide feedback/evaluation of the course
The course contains eight modules which align with the structure of CP 01. A summary of the role of the New Zealand Building Act and New Zealand Building Code will be given at the beginning of the course.
Module 1 - Scope
- Construction excluded
Module 2 - General
Module 3 - Wall Construction
- Concrete masonry wall construction
- In-situ concrete wall construction
- Precast concrete wall construction
Module 4 - Wall Weathertightness Systems
- EIFS system - external insulation
- Plaster system
- Coating system
- Weathertight concrete
- Masonry veneer
Module 5 - Flashings
- Required properties of flashing materials
- Acceptable flashing materials
Module 6 - Concrete Roofs and Decks
Module 7 - Concrete Slab-On-Ground & Footings
Module 8 - Construction Moisture
- Architects, designers, façade engineers, building experts (It would be beneficial if trainees were familiar with NZS 4229 or NZS 3604).
- Other building professionals
- Concrete NZ Members - $500.00 plus GST ($575.00)
- Non-Concrete NZ Members - $565.22 plus GST ($650.00)
Fee includes lunch, morning- and afternoon teas
Complete and return the course registration form.